In 1889, Mrs. Margaret Riggs formed the Woman’s Reading Club in her Rutherford Living room, for the purpose of gathering like-minded community women together with the common goals of camaraderie and community service.
From this humble beginning, the membership had grown to 60 women by 1893. The members decided to spearhead the project of forming a free library and sought community involvement, receiving full support. One year later the Rutherford Free Public Library opened its doors in the ShaferBuilding at Station Square.
By 1924, the Club was a thriving and vital force in town, it incorporated, purchased the circa 1886 building (built with brownstone from Belleville) at the corner of Montross and Fairview Avenues, and turned it into a meeting place.
The building was originally the carriage house for “Iviswold — The Castle”, David Brinkerhoff Iverson’s summer residence. It was purchased for $15,000 and the mortgage was paid off in 1949.
The Woman’s Reading Club became the Woman’s Club of Rutherford in 1928 and has continued its role of community service. Our affiliation with the State and National Federation of Women’s Clubs has broadened our horizons and given us new perspectives.
Our Clubhouse has required much maintenance and improvements over the years. We have installed central air conditioning, replaced much flooring and lighting, repainted, and much more. It is our hope to be able to continue to serve our community from this center of our operations, The Brownstone Clubhouse.
The Woman’s Club of Rutherford is open to all women of the community. We work together, contributing our individual skills and energy towards common community goals and selected charities.
The Woman's Club of Rutherford 201 Fairview Avenue, Rutherford, NJ 07070 201.939.9894